Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Substitute

I'm wretched, broken, full of sin,
Yet God is willing even then
To let my sorry spirit in,
Approach his throne and know I'm known
As one who's never sinned:

Who's never let the devil in,
Who's never looked with lustful eyes,
Whose words were never full of lies,
Who treated others as himself,
Who never craved or hoarded wealth,
Who loved the Lord with all his heart
And never from his way did part

A righteous man in every way.

But is this me? What can I say?
For even I, though full of pride,
Can't all my sin and evil hide
And lie to myself and God as well,
Thinking all I do is good
As if I act the way I should.

I can't say this with sanity,
But why does God see good in me?
I tell you now it's not my works,
For they are far from what I'd need
To dwell in Jesus' house. Indeed,
No work I do can e're suffice

The work's been done by Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment